Thursday, June 25, 2009

SpaceShipTwo Complete!

After 4 coats of paint and 3 hours of detailing and greeblage, it's finally complete!

First, on monday I applied two coats of white. That covered the blue nose cone, orangish-brownish-reddish tailcone, and graph paper wrap pretty well. Last night (tuesday night that is; I forget that it's the early morning already) I tried to color in the black areas with a sharpie, but it's a lot of area to cover and it wasn't going well.

Yesterday, I put a huge layer of masking tape over probably 2/3 of the area of the rocket, matching a dozen different curves rather nicely. It took almost 60 separate pieces of masking tape. I then put a nice thick coat of black paint on (as well as painting my twin saucers a nice shiny gold) and let it dry. Or so I thought. The moment i picked it up, the paint skin started tearing.

So I set it back down, but a second coat on, and let it dry for 4 hours. Then I took the tape off and it looks nice, if barren. So for the last 3 hours, I've been coloring in the bluish eye sections and adding all the details, like the windows, Virgin logo, DNA of flight, aircraft number (it's registered just like any other civilian aircraft), and even the tiny nose art.

First flight coming on an A10-3T, when I bother to pick some up. (I'm currently out).

Pictures also coming soon.

No comments: