Saturday, June 20, 2009

Launch Report #30 Part 1

The weather held off and we were able to hold CATO 150 today. The cloud cover held steady at around 1600 feet and the wind wasn't too bad. About 20 Civil Air Patrol kids were there, most flying small rockets on large motors, mostly Alphas, while others flew oddrocs of their own creation. They were occasionally annoying, and always took up the low-power racks, but I'm always glad to see new kids getting introduced to the hobby.

I flew 9 rockets on 10 motors, including one SU composite motor, one reload, and 8 BP motors. My total for today was 123.7 Ns, slightly less than a single G80 equivalent. I flew E motors for the first time, including my first White Lightning motors and my first sucessful use of a SU composite motor.

Note: Several posts will follow with more pictures, because I don't feel like creating phantom posts to funnel a dozen pictures into this one post.

My first flight of the day was the Mozzie on an E15-4. At that point, it looked like it was going to rain soon, so I wanted to get in at least one good flight. After a rack of CAP rockets, which were incredibly underpowered at worst and uneventful at best, I was the first off the away pads. It roared off the pad on with a spectacular burst of white-yellow flame and a pretty good roar. Since mine was the first high flight (~800 feet simmed) of the day, we had no idea of the winds, so when the chute deployed right at apogee, it started to drift... right into the trees. However, as you can see in the aerial view, there's a smaller field on one side of the field, separated by a small treeline. That other field saved both the Mozzie and another flier's rocket. I had to hike half a mile around the field to get to it, but it was well worth the exercise.

Me after the flight, with undamaged rocket and laundry.


The Nuclear Mosquito was next on a B6-4 to about 400 feet. The nylon chute tangled a bit due to the bad pack job by yours truly (see picture; click to embiggen), but it had enough drag to keep it from damage.


Before the Nuclear Mosquito, I'd tried twice to get the twin saucers in the air on the D12/C6 combo. Turns out, a bit of clay almost completely blocked the nozzle. I switched motors and it worked fine, making its usual 'chugga-chugga sound' that impressed the cadets. I drilled the bad D12 out tonight, making about a D13-0 booster that will still be legal.


Next came the Rokit on an A10-3T. Once I convinced the skeptical RSO of its flying abilities and legality, it took off straight and fast. The streamer wrapped a bit around one fin, prompting someone to say 'it looks like the streamer is coming out its butt' which has now migrated to my facebook quotes. It broke two fins on landing, and I may be retiring it. I might try to scare the RSO at NERRF, though, possible by flying it on a C rather than an A.

Fifth for today, and last for this section of the launch report, was the Screaming Yellow Zonker!. Nice flight, 250 straight up, good recovery, broke one fin a bit, repaired, yadda yadda yadda.

Part Two: flights 6-9
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

mandachan said...

methinks someone needs shorter socks :)