Wednesday, June 10, 2009

1 Year!!!!!

It's been exactly one year since I started my blog. It's been quite possibly the best year of my life.

I've blogged about all sorts of stuff - starting with destroying a scanner and a primitive Invaders program, going into electronics and the first History day post (which I hope to make at least a weekly feature), my epic lists of semiconductor parts, buying a telescope, and that's just before summer ended. I then got back into model rockets, with a few non-numbered launches before I started numbering (I'm up to 29 numbered launch reports), with side excursions including school, astronomy, programming, and of course this infamous post. I joined the NAR, complained about comcast, bought my first composite motor, started making parachutes, made more rockets, and went to my first CATO meeting in years. I discovered the fun of 'mad science', and the usefulness of picasa for posting photos. I amde rockets out of legos, old motor casings, and other kits. I launched rockets in subzero weather. I saw venus in broad daylight and started programming again. I wrote and rewrote a simulation program for rockets. I crashed a 3-stage rocket and destroyed most of it. I went to NARCON and bought a shitload of stuff. I've classified galaxies, got my permit, and bought 29mm HPR casings. I reported on old-world motors and got linked to for the first time. I've chatted with a virtual God and built a very real machbuster. And I've blogged about it. A lot.

In meatspace, I've had an absolutely awesome year as well. It started out with (maybe) breaking my wrist, but quickly got better. I've (in no real order)survived almost my entire sophomore year, made some friends and made peace with a few enemies, gotten a job, survived my sister going off to college, gone to ARML for a second time, gone to Oregon, become a little indie rock nerd, discovered Questionable Content, learned a lot about math and science and rocketry and programming, gotten an A in English, turned 16, gotten my permit, rocked the house with Jazz Band, and more. Oh, and I've got an absolutely awesome girlfriend =D


I'm truly greatful for the comments and advice I get from all my readers. You really make this worthwhile. This is by far the largest project I've ever done - 1 year, 365+ posts, and between 50,000 and 100,000 words. I've had over 2300 views during that time - averaging over 5 views a day (besides my own visits to blog).

I've tried to live up to my promise of 'always entertaining, always intelligent, mostly safe, and lacking enough high explosives'. I hope that all of you like what I do here, because I like blogging and I really appreciate your readership and comments. I plan to continue this blog for a long time and I hope to continue to entertain and teach you.

Three words of thanks: First, to Mandachan for inspiring me to blog and putting up with my uber-competitiveness (and letting me copy many of her ideas), and second, to Dick Stafford for taking a look and putting me on his blogroll, as well as being a general source of information for my random rocketry questions. Third goes to my own sister for teaching me a little lesson in humility, as well as being awesome.

Have an awesome day, and I hope to have lots more cool, geeky stuff up here for your enjoyment before I next do a year's-end post. It's been a fun ride, and it's nowhere near over.

1 comment:

mandachan said...

darn straight you got yourself a kick-ass girlfriend :)

anyway, happy 1 year.
- gotta love that baseball post <3 THE POWER OF HOT GUYS COMPEL YOU!
- you spelled "made" wrong (quote: 'I amde rockets out of legos')
- oh come on that was hilarious when becca ratted you out :)

and finally, you're welcome for being your muse, even though your blog is a heck of a lot more popular than mine.