Thursday, March 19, 2009

New rocket

Boredom, spare parts, and plenty of CA do not a good mix make. At least not yesterday, cause now I've got a whole nother rocket jest sittin' around. It's a 24mm payload carrier made from 29mm tubing. It's about 32" long overall, making it my second-longest rocket. It consists of 23 3/4" of 29mm tubing (13" plus 10.75" plus a tube coupler), a 24mm universal motor mount (no motor hook or thrust ring, just 1/2" of tube sticking out the back to tape the motor to, 27" of 1/4" elastic shock cord, a 4.75" clear payload tube (3.75" free) with plastic bulkhead, and a homemade 27mm (the payload tube is a bit smaller than the body) balsa nose cone.

It'll use C11-3, D12-3, E9-4/6, and 24/40 reloads and use a 12" or 16" chute depending on the payload mass and the altitude. The 27mm by 95mm payload bay is a bit small, but plenty bit enough to fit stuff like a small beeper or strobe light, a small glow stick for night launches, or the new Quest altimeter. The How High Altimeter fit inside a 20mm diameter tube (hating on us 18mm minimum diameter types) and can go from 50' to 7000' AGL. It only takes a full data sample once per second, but even that is only a maximum altitude error of just 4 feet. It's only $45, so I'm seriously thinking of gettting one. I could do fun things like compute the CD (drag coefficient) of the rocket by comparing simulations to actual altitude.

Open contest to name the new rocket and suggest a paint scheme. The winner gets me to plug what ever link they want, subject to my filtering for NFSW stuff, dangerous sites, and anything BAFTE.

6 comments:

Sascha Grant said...

How about Gavin ? I think it would be neat to have a rocket called Gavin!

I have a rocket called Lord Neville 3rd :)

Sascha Grant said...

I'll get back to you on colour... How about a photo of it ???

Sascha Grant said...

Sorry about the double-post (well, triple post now)... I hit post before I realised you wanted colour scheme as well.. D'oh!!

The EGE said...

I'll get a photo up soon. I found a picture of the Lord - looks cool. Why Gavin?

Sascha Grant said...

Why not!! How many people can say they have a rocket called Gavin!

Everyone has a rocket called "Super Rocket" or "Streak" or "Flash" or "Kate"

I think it would be good to break away from the typical "Rocket" names :)

The EGE said...

Okay, I guess Gavin sounds good. I'll get a picture up tomorrow after NARCON.