Thursday, March 12, 2009

It's my Birthday!

I have now been on the earth for an integer number of earth revolutions. That's right. I am no longer a nibble. This geek needs 5, countem 5 bits now.
I gots some awesome presents. I got One Two Three Infinity by George Gamow from my sister - He's like martin Gardner, except for science. Witty and informative articles on a variety of scientific and mathematical subjects. I'll tell more as I read it.

I got a 5x5x5 Rubix Cube (I can solve a standard 3x3x3 in under 2 minutes); my goal for this one is 5.

I also got Rockets of the World by Peter Always, the world's foremost expert on scale modeling. It's got some 200 sounding rockets, satelite boosters, human launch vechiles, and a few military rockets (like the V2) from all around the world from 1926 (Goddard) to rockets from as recently as 1995, ranging in size from the 1.3m Polish RASKO-2 to the 363 ft (111) Staurn V and the 343 ft (105m) Russian N1 moon rocket. It's got great scale drawings, color schemes, histories, and photos for almost every rocket, plus two really cool features: a 1:600 scale comparison of every single rocket in one two-page spread at the end, and NAR motor designations for about half the rockets.

The smallest listed are probably the 7-motor cluster of M12000s in the NASA Iris sounding rocket plus a few Ls in a cluster on some other rocket. Most amateur-size rockets either don't have full motor data available or else were packed with huge motors to send them into space or the upper atmosphere. The smallest one could easily be made into nice 1:1 models for L1 or L2 cert; you'd certainly have a unique rocket and a well-flying one - the smallest sounding rockets usually have the simple lines of the larger ones.

The biggest motors are the 5 AC6700000 (AC is 8 times the power of a Z) on the Saturn V, or maybe the not-grouped shuttle SRBS, but the most powerful is the Russian N1 moon rocket. 30 AA1510000 motors, equal to about a single AF, or about twice the Saturn V's first stage thrust total. I expect to build several nice scale models from the book.

I'm also gonna buy myself a 24/40 RMS casing and some E28-4 reloads. Fun with the Mozzie at CATO and my 24mm saucer anywhere. That thing'l rock, really loud, on a high-trust E. Or, dear deity, something like an F24 reload. That'll wake the neighbors up.

3 comments:

Sascha Grant said...

Happy 16th Birthday! Sounds like you got some very cool gifts!! Hoorah!

Maelstrom said...

Happy Birthday EGE.

The EGE said...

Thanks, guys!