Sunday, March 8, 2009

Four random things

First, I hereby command all of you to go to your local library and check out a book, either dead tree or recycled electrons, by Nelson Demille. Any of his are fine, but I recommend his John Corey novels, starting with Plum Island, which in its premise scares me cause the real Plum Island, home of biological research by the Department of Agriculture, is about 12 miles from my house as the proverbial crow theoretically flies. In chronological order are Plum Island, The Lion's Game, Night Fall (about TWA Flight 800) and Wild Fire. They're about John Corey, ex-NYPD, currently on the ATTF (fictional Anti-Terrorism Task Force) and complete badass. Like Harry Callahan, but funnier and removed from the 70s. And I mean funny - the novels are mostly in the first person and Corey makes a politically incorrect joke about once a paragraph. My favorite, oh-so-stereotypical and wrong but still funny as hell:

Q: What's a moderate Arab?
A: A terrorist who's out of ammunition.


Second: I found out tonight that salmon mixed with melted butter and garlic is really good, as are cold pancakes. Yummy.

Third, after using Chrome for the last 6 months, I've gotten really used to the in-browser spell check and favorites bar across the top. (I'm currently using IE on my parents' desktop while my laptop awaits being looked at.) Get on it, Microsloth. Chrome is faster, shinier, open source, and has features like the two mentioned above, plus a better-looking interface and incognito browsing, which prevents websites from showing in your search history or putting cookies on your computer. Plus, IE needs a separate security suite; with a bit of care, Chrome doesn't. Unless Microsoft wakes up and really improves IE, their browser business is down the tubes. Pun intentional.

Finally, this is my 250th post. That's almost one per day over the last 9 months; starting in November I've averaged over one a day and rarely skipped more than 2 or 3 consecutive days. At my present rate, I'll have over 365 posts on June 10, the The Amateur Geek's first anniversary.

1 comment:

mandachan said...

on your second random thing: DUH WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN OF COURSE ANY COMBO OF BUTTER AND GARLIC IS AWESOME

and on your fourth: quit being such a bragger. it's kinda annoying especially to those who aren't as accomplished as you *coughmecough*. and remember, if it weren't for me, you wouldn't've even gotten this far.