I'm building a new ignition system based a few guidelines:
- Must be triggered by a standard Electron Beam Controller.
- Must not require modifying my existing equipment
- Must be cheap and use available components.
- Must have at least 30 feet of wire so I can fire up to F motors safely.
- Must provide 12V at several amps with 2 6V lantern batteries attached.
My new system is very simple. It consists of 2 lantern batteries, a 6V relay, and 30+ feet of wire, plus alligator clips to attach to motors. The relay coil is triggered by a standard launch controller. The 6V relay is the only special part; it costs about 3-5 dollars from catalogues or Radioshack, but I took mine off an old circuit board. That's what I call electronics recycling. The only drawback is that the test current thru the light bulb is enough to trigger the relay; I'll have to add about a 10Ω or 100Ω resistor in series with the coil. I tested the coil in its little box tonight; tomorrow I'll figure out the wires and clips. Because the wire I found in the junk box is 4-core wire, it'll be very easy to do clustering. That's another place where the extra current and voltage comes in handy.
I'll also draw up a simple circuit diagram.



No comments:
Post a Comment