Due to things like homework, tennis lesson, extreme tiredness, and all-around apathy, I haven't gotten much done in the lat few days, much less any building.
However, this evening I've gotten a little bit done with the Viper IV.
First, I sanded the fins. This didn't take very long. 240-grit sandpaper smoothed out the flat faces of the fins very nicely, and for the edges I just used a few strokes of 120-grit, then steel wool, which gave it a nice shiny-smooth surface.
Next I started assembling the motor mounts by gluing together 2 pairs of tubes, then adding fillets on the side that will be the inside. (The outside doesn't get fillets yet, because I still have to attach the fins).
To make the launch lug a little better, I put CA on the ends, preventing the cardboard from unraveling.
Finally, I started wotk on the motor retention system. I found a washer that's big enough to hold the motors and still not deflect the thrust, and a way to attach it to the threaded rod. Then I glued two nuts to a pair of motor tubes and spaced them with the threaded rod. Once i use a little epoxy clay to hold them in place, the motor retention system will be downright bulletproof.
Blegh... back to my English essay now, which is due tuesday.
Sunday, January 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment