Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Rockets I plan to build

I've got a bunch of rockets that I plan to build. Some soon, some...not so soon. In order of probability of ever flying:

MLAS:
18mm scale model of NASA's testbed rocket; kit from Quest. I was given it through TRF's Secret Santa exchange, but I haven't built it yet. I may wait a month or two to build it only so I don't have too huge of a backlog for painting my rockets. The only modification I will make to the stock design is to add a little extra nose weight so as to me able to fly it on 18mm C6 and D13 motors.

Viper IV:
4x24mm cluster rocket; kit from LOC Precision. Order currently being processed by Hobbylinc. The only modification I will make is adding a threaded rod for motor retention.

18mm booster:
A generic booster stage for 18mm booster motors, mostly used for adding altitude to underpowered 13mm and 18mm rockets. Its predecessor was utterly destroyed in an unfortunate accident. This one will have stronger fins and a better engine block than the first one - the engine block coated with something so as to not burn from the motor exhaust.

Mach My Day II:
A better 18mm machbuster. My previous one, the Mach My Day, was unstable on anything bigger than an A. It also needed a bunch of nose weight to fly at all, and then it was too heavy to hit Mach. I have a balsa nose cone coming in the mail, and I'll use 18" or so of light BT-20. Probably balsa fins coated with wood glue, or maybe thin basswood. It'll weigh no more than half an ounce. Painted red or black for visibility.

24mm machbuster:
To complete a range of mid-power machbusters. Plastic Von Karman nose cone from Apogee, 18" body tube, and balsa or thin plywood fins. No more than an ounce unloaded. It'll fly on F32-8Ts, maybe E30-7Ts.

29mm drag racer:
Blue tube body, plastic nose cone, plywood fins. Everything attached with wood glue and pretty conventional materials (even Blue Tube is just resin-soaked paper, not that different from phenolic), and I will put it up against any other 29mm rocket out there on anything from a 24mm D to a Cesaroni I224 (at 381Ns, the single most powerful 29mm motor available). Wildman brags that their Blackhawk can "blow the fins off any rocket willing to drag race". I resent that. With blue tube, I can make a lighter, faster rocket that'll survive Mach 2 speeds. If I make it, and I likely will, then I will drag race anyone with a Blackhawk at the next high-power launch I can get to.

29mm saucer:
29mm motor waster. Not that likely because I already have the pyramid.

4" rocket:
A 4" rocket like the Pemtech King Kraken or the Madcow Patriot with a 38mm motor mount that's light enough to fly on Gs but strong enough for small Js. Nice, but pricey at around 100 bucks, plus of course the motor casing...

29mm drag racer:
Blue tube body, plastic nose cone, plywood fins. Everything attached with wood glue and pretty conventional materials (even Blue Tube is just resin-soaked paper, not that different from phenolic), and I will put it up against any other 29mm rocket out there on anything from a 24mm D to a Cesaroni I224 (at 381Ns, the single most powerful 29mm motor available). Wildman brags that their Blackhawk can "blow the fins off any rocket willing to drag race". I resent that. With blue tube, I can make a lighter, faster rocket that'll survive Mach 2 speeds. If I make it, and I likely will, then I will drag race anyone with a Blackhawk at the next high-power launch I can get to.

1 comment:

mandachan said...

you're welcome for being your 6000th visitor, now can i leave before your hit counter insults my mediocrity any more?