Thursday, September 3, 2009

Thoughts on new reloadable motors

I've been thinking recently about getting a bit more hardware. There's a rather large gap in my arsenal between the 45Ns F motors I can fly in my 24/40 case, and the 155Ns G75J in my 29/180 case. There's a number of reload options in that range, but they're all either Aerotech loads (in Rouse-tech cases) or the Cesaroni Pro29 series.

Since I'm not looking for 60Ns F motors only, that eliminates the 24/60 and 29/60 cases and the Cesaroni Pro29-1G case (approxiamtely a 60Ns case). This narrows it down to a few options: The Aerotech 29/40-120, 29/100, and 29/120 cases, and the Cesaroni Pro29 2-grain and 3-grain motors.

I can eliminate the 29/100 case as well. It's very similar to the 29/120 case, but with a few differences. The 100Ns case has the G54W and G104T loads; the 120Ns case has the G77R and G79W. The G104T, because its average thrust is over 80N, cannot be flown at places like Salem without a waiver; I'm also not a big fan of Blue Thunder motors cause they don't produce any spectacular flame or smoke. For only about a dollar more per flight, I'd rather have the option of two different motors, one red and one white, which have a higher impulse and can lift even 3.3lb 4" rockets.

I can also eliminate the Cesaroni system. Although I like the simple assembly, adjustable delays, and variety of motors, it's just not practical for me. Although the cases themselves are cheap - slightly less than single AT / Rouse-tech cases of the same impulse range - it requires buying an aft closure - about 20 bucks - in order to use the cases, and a 15-buck delay adjustment tool in order to have the range of delays. That means for even a 2-grain (120Ns) case, I'm looking at about 60 bucks for the case, and then G reloads are around 20 bucks - not a substantial savings over SU motors.

That said, however, I will keep Cesaroni reloads in mind for the future. Once I'm 18, going for my L2 cert, and hopefully able to fly high-thrust Gs and H and I motors at Salem, the Pro38 series starts to look a lot more attractive. At that range, they start to get to about the same price as AT reloads, and the greater variety of reloads per case is a big plus. Plus, Cesaroni has one thing that Aerotech has never expressed any interest in: SKIDMARKS!

That leave the Aerotech 29/120 and 29/40-120 cases. The hobby case (40-120Ns) is between 40 and 50 bucks; the 120Ns case is between 25 and 35. I don't need to buy closures, as I already have a pair from my 29/180-240 system. However, the 15-dollar difference in initial cost is quickly offset - G loads for the hobby case cost about $2.50 less, and there's even more of a difference with E and F loads. Although I like the G77 and G79, I think the variety of cheap reloads for the hobby case wins out. It also has several other advantages: per-motor delays, instead of a medium delay for each motor; a better ejection charge holding system, different propellants, including Black Max and Mojave Green, and of course the ability to fly F motors. I likely won't fly E motors, though, as 24/40 E loads are cheaper than 29mm E loads.

Along with the case, I'll definitely buy a 3-pack of E18-4T reloads. I like the loud and smoky White Lightning propellant, and the -4 delay is good for the Mozzie, Nantucket Sound, 24mm saucer, and even possibly the Nike-Apache, although since my Nike-Apache turned out heavy I think F motors are a better choice. I'll also get an F reload or two, plus a G load.

I'm also looking into getting another MPR rocket. Currently I'm leaning towards the Madcow Scooter.

3 comments:

Dick said...

I think the 29/40-120 is preferable over the 29/120. The loads are a little cheaper as you mentioned and there are more options. AT tricked me by initially saying that Redline and Mojave green wouldn't make it to the Hobbyline case. I got a 29/120 and then a second after I lost the first. Then I found the first and have two that I barely use. At least, as you also said, the closures can be used with the larger high power cases. It would be great if they could make a g125-ish load for the 29/120, but I'm not holding my breath.

The EGE said...

Thanks for the advice. A G125-type load would be pretty cool. Cesaroni has the G83, G88, and G126 in the Pro29-2G case, as well as a number of high-thrust Gs in the 3G case, though. If I was looking for really high-thrust stuff, I'd look there.

Dick said...

I haven't taken the plunge on the CTI 29mm. I have the 1G 38mm that has several high impulse loads and now that I can fly H's have all my needs met. Still, more loads for the hardware I have would be a good thing.