Thursday, December 17, 2009

Takeapart: hard drive

It's been forever since I did one of these posts, but I got an old hard disk yesterday with instructions to make the privacy-protected patient data on it unreadable. That I did.

The thing was hard to open, with seven very tight torx screws. I got the outer six off with a standard flat-blade screwdriver, but then it began to slip, so I beat the last one with a hammer till it ripped out of the aluminium frame. It was a pretty simple design - circuit board on the bottom, single platter taking up most of the space. I took some pliers and flipped up a metal plate which held one of the two magnets. I pounded on the aluminum hard drive frame to bend the other plate, allowing me to slip a screwdriver under and lift up the other.

Thus, two perfectly good small hard drive magnets. The two of em held an office chair hanging from a hammer to a steel I-beam. Strong stuff - neodymium iron boron. At least 20 pounds of pull between the two, maybe more. Stick em together and slide em up and down the fall till they stick to a nail, you got yourself a stud-finder. They'll clamp thin wood like balsa real well. Also good for wiping hard drives and credit cards, wrecking speakers, and making spots on CRTs.

I then beat the metal frame till it spit out the platter, which I then beat with a hammer, ran with magnets, and otherwise turned into a nice piece of modern metal sculpture. The feebees could maybe salvage it, but prolly not.

Defintiely worth the effort.

3 comments:

Maelstrom said...

As interesting as it is to take one apart, lately I've settled with just running a 1/4" drill bit through the whole deal several times.

The EGE said...

Eh, I love the hard drive magnets. I have 6 or 8 of them.

Maelstrom said...

I have a few that I keep on my desk at work because it amuses me when people fiddle with them and get pinched because they don't expect them to be so strong.