Thursday, December 31, 2009

Purchases!

I went after-Christmas shopping with mandachan yesterday. Amazingly, the stores weren't crowded, and I got good stuff.

At a local hobby store, where I had a gift certificate, I bought a pack of B6-0s, a new razor saw blade for my exacto knife, sheets of 1/4" and 1/16" balsa and 1/32" basswood, and an Estes Big Daddy kit.

I will not build the Big Daddy stock - I'll certainly beef up the motor mount reinforcement and replace the crappy plastic chute with a quick-link and nylon chute. I'll likely add a 29mm motor mount, and/or add 4 plugged 18mm mounts around the central mount. I might also do what others have and extend the motor mount tube up into the nose cone to serve as a baffle. Nose weight will be added for stability on larger motors - up to a baby H, possibly, and the fins reinforced with basswood or paper skins. I'll prolly also add rod-based motor retention, especially if I do upgrade to the 29mm mount.

At Borders, I bought We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank by Modest Mouse (the first CD I've ever bought myself, rather than borrowed from the library or my parents), and QED by Richard Feynman (about Quantum Electrodynamics).

No comments: