Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Mike Dorffler

A few days ago came the sad news that Mike Dorffler, one of the giants of rocketry, has severe terminal pancreatic cancer. Dorffler started at Estes in 1969 and designed a number of famous kits, including the Cineroc (an 8mm movie camera mounted in a rocket looking down, and the Apogee Aspire and Saturn IB and V kits. The Cineroc even inspired NASA to put a similar camera on one of their flights:



It's suggested in the article to write to the Dorfflers, to let him know just how much he will be missed. Here is my contribution:

Dear Mrs. Dorffler:

I would like to express my deepest sympathy for you and your husband. It saddens me greatly to hear of his illness. Regretfully, I've never had the chance to meet him, but I've seen so much of what he's done for rocketry. His designs are legends, and I consider myself lucky to have been inspired by him.
Thank you for allowing all of us to share the benefits of his work. He is in my thoughts every day, and I wish both of you the very best.

1 comment:

smashingmate said...

Thank you for this. . . Mike is my dad and I am very proud of him. I will miss him more than words can say. It is nice to know there are so many of you out there that enjoy his work and consider him a friend.