Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Fourteenth Match: We are the Champions

Fourteenth match today - last match in our division. It was against Windham, who we beat 4-3 earlier in the year.

I played a different guy than before, and this one was harder. He had a fast, accurate first serve that got in better than half the time. He quickly got up 3 games to none. I talked to my coach and he gave me a few pointers, and I came back to being down 3-2, then 4-4, then 5-5, then 6-5. Finally I pulled it to 6-6 and forced a tiebreaker, which is fairly quick and played to seven points. He won it 7-2 - all that work for nothing!

But, I came back to win the second set 6-2. I played better - I started returning his serves, hitting shots to his backhand, and forcing him to make mistakes. I then got up 5-2 in the second set.

By this time, all other matches except 2 doubles had finished; we were up 3-2. All my teammates were cheering, which was pretty awesome. The last game took almost 10 minutes - lots of monsterously long points - but I won it. 2 doubles won, too.

This was our last match in our division, and we've only lost one match in-division - our first match versus Bacon - so we tied them for ECC Medium Division Champions. First time in 10 years. How cool is that?