- You can never really pay back. You can only pay forward.
- That will take care of you, you son of a bitch. (After shoving a camera into an intrusive photographer)
- There are three things that can happen when you throw a pass, and two of them are bad.
- It does not matter the size of the man, rather the amount of effort the man is willing to put forth.
- Nobody despises to lose more than I do. That's got me into trouble over the years, but it also made a man of mediocre ability into a pretty good coach.
- One thing you cannot afford ever to do is to feel sorry for yourself.
- When asked why he went for two despite a 36-point lead against Michigan, Hayes quipped, "Because I couldn't go for three.
"There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you."