Sunday, December 14, 2008

Launch Report #10

It was freezing out yesterday, but blue skies and no wind. I launched 4 rockets on 4 flights on 5 motors, for 5.625 Ns (low C) per flight and 4.5 (high B) per motor.
First came my experimental and probably against-NAR-rules Spudnik. It consisted of a potato with an A8-3 in it and 4 skewers for stick fins. It's of course named after Sputnik. I launched it off a potato-greased 12" rod (because running the rod through the spud makes a lot of friction) and aimed at 30 degrees downrange.
(BTW, 12" x 1/8" hollow aluminum rods are very useful. I have one as a micromaxx launch rod and another bent as an umbilical rod for use with a future heavy glider on my 3/16" rod. )
 
It was Kaputnik. It went about 15 feet up, not even enough to use its proprietary mashed-potato recovery. I chucked the spent potato into the woods to be composted. I'll try again sometime with a C6, or maybe even a D12.


Next came the Screaming Yellow Zonker! on a B6-0 / A8-3. It flew well, to about 250 feet. The upper stage was barely stable even while spinning; from now on I'm thinking C6-0 / A8-5. Sorry, no pics.
 
This is the smoke trail from Cohete on an A3-4T. Note how sparky the Estes mini motors are, much more so than the 18mm motors. It flew great to about 200 feet with no damage. The shock cord is getting frayed and I'll have to replace it soon.
 This is Transwing lifting off on a C6-3. It looked good, almost actually sleek and rocketlike, as it was colored orange by the sunset. The 3-second delay was a hair too long; I wish a C6-2 was possible.
 Here's a great shot: the fully deployed Transwing gliding high in the air. The wing panels stayed up at about a 45 degree angle - I'll have to use stronger rubber bands. (Obligatory thanks to mandachan for the rubber bands) It got about 20 seconds of nice circling gliding before it hit the treeline about 20 feet up. The only damage to the glider was a ripped tape wing hinge, but I replace those every flight anyway. The pod-pod's streamer refused to unfurl and plastic wad recovery was hard on the frozen ground. The plastic hook that holds the glider was broken but was easily glued. Otherwise, a great flight.

Since I started keeping records in September, I've launched 38 flights on 43 motors for 174.92 (low H) Ns, which is 4.603 Ns (high B) per flight and 4.068 (mid-high B) per motor.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: