Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Bones!

Is not on tonight. Sigh.
But there's another type of bones. Bones files. If you die in NetHack then, depending on where you die, you might leave a bones file. It includes a ghost named after you and your stuff, mostly cursed. The ghost is annoying and hard to kill, but sometimes you can find usable stuff. A few days ago, I accidentally angered Izchak, a shopkeeper. Bad Luck. Shopkeepers are powerful and hard to kill, as a lawful character murdering a human is bad, and killing Izchak is looked down on by others because Izchak Miller was a major part of creating NetHack you tragically died from cancer in 1994. Needles to say, my unlikely Valkyrie died. Unfortunately, she also left a bones file with an angry Izchak. That bones file killed 3 other promising Valkyries.
I took the unusual step of deleting all the bones files on my computer - all 4 of them. I consider this fair because I deleted all, including those that might have benefited me. This is the same situation as if I loaded the game onto a new computer, for example. The game didn't declare death by trickery, so I think it's fair. If you have any complaint, please comment.

No comments: