Monday, August 9, 2010

Zoom

So, yesterday, I went biking on the South County Bike Path in Rhode Island. Pretty nice bike path, even if my back tire did give out halfway through...

But, one of the cool parts about it is that it starts at the Kingston railroad station. Kingston is unique in that it's right in the middle of one of only two sections of track in which the Acela Express is permitted to travel at 150 mph.

Waiting for my folks to get their bikes ready, I walked up to the bridge over the tracks. As I walked back down, mandachan called and I answered. I walked over to the edge of the northbound tracks. As I watched and she listened, an Acela came through the station at full speed. Way cool. The train was only about 10 feet from me, and I got quite a breeze. From nose to nose, the 663-foot trainset passed in just three seconds.

And that is why they have these interesting warning signs:

No comments: