Thursday, August 12, 2010

First day of hiking

Today, since we had to drive up from CT, we didn't have time to do a long hike, so we chose a shorter but still nice one, called Hedgehog Mountain. It was a 5-mile loop.

Going up was very nice. At 2.0 miles, we reached the summit of Little Hedgehog, with the East Ledges giving excellent views of Mt. Chocoura and others. At 2.9 was the summit of Hedgehog Mountain proper. It's a small mountain at 2532 feet, but starting from 1250 feet, the vertical climb was strenuous. The steeper down route was very quick.

My old steel-toed boots were hurting my toes, so I'm now the proud owner of a new pair of hiking boots. Also, wool socks are wonderful things. They saved my feet from massive blisters today.

I'd like to take this opportunity to be a proper hiker and mutter under my breath about tourists. We're staying in North Conway, which unfortunately is entirely overrun by stupid tourists. People who come to shop and drive up Mount Washington in their giant SUVs and such. Honestly. You can shopa t home, folks. Get off your lazy asses and hike a little.

In related news, this hotel room needs a lawn, so I can get out my imaginary cane and sit on the non-existent porch and yell at kids to get off it. Because I am a grumpy old man.

Also in related news, the people next door are like a living stereotype. Giant truck (that does not even fit in the large parking space), all the right window stickers; loud, fat, and annoying; the kid doesn't wear a bike helmet, and dumb as rocks. As in, the mom was playing a trivia game, and thought that 250mL was a third of a liter, and wasn't sure if Georgia was east of Alabama, and thought that NaCl symbolizes Calcium, not salt. (Granted, alcohol comes in 750mL bottles, which might explain things).

To quote Daria: "I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem of everybody else."

No comments: