Friday, May 25, 2012

It's the little things

I've been home from college for almost two weeks now. During that time, I've had no trouble readjusting to the house I'd lived in for eighteen years. I haven't fallen off my (railing-less) bed. I've gotten remarkably few stubbed toes. And I can still navigate the twisty route through the dining room in pitch black.

It's not the big changes that confuse me, either. New carpet? Okay, looks nice. New vehicle? I drive it most days; I'm used to it by now.

It's the little things.

The former basement lights were old clunky recessed fixtures that probably violated multiple fires codes. Even with new 100W-equivalent compact fluorescents, they were never quite bright enough either. So my parents replaced them with tube-style fluorescents, which are brighter and safer. But, unlike CFLs, they take about half a second to light.

During that half-second, I get about 3 steps down the basement stairs. The unexpected half-second in which [i]I can't see the stairs[/i] is enough for me to trip almost every time.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Hey, you should build and launch some LEGO Rockets, like you did in 2009. See some ideas at http://mocpages.com/moc.php/319027 and http://mocpages.com/moc.php/104238 .

The EGE said...

I've considered trying again, and those are some very neat designs. I'm just not convinced that Legos have enough grip to hold together during parachute opening. I'm not willing to just crash-land like the designs you linked to were - too dangerous.