Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Caught Red-handed

...sortof.

This morning, for reasons that are still beyond me, I was playing with a pen. Not just any pen, but a malfunctioning red pen, one of the rollerball gel ones. Though still nearly full of ink, it mysteriously refused to write.

So, of course, I was sticking a dowel into the ink tube, trying to push enough ink to clear the blockage. Of course, I was using a dowel almost the exact same diameter as the inside of the plastic ink tube, and gel ink, like water, is a mostly incompressible fluid.

One slip of the hand and blorp (actual sound effect), the tip of the ink tube falls out and there's red ink all over my hand. And I mean red. It was more or less the color of fresh blood, and about the same consistency.

I rushed upstairs, rinsed my hand in the sink, and... it didn't come off. My right hand had two fingers (plus thumb) literally stained blood red with liberal amounts of sanguine ink.

Fortunately, lava soap (soap with small bits of abrasive pumice) helped, as did a small amount of 120-grit sandpaper. Though it absolutely stained my skin cells, it didn't go very deep. In fact, I was going to take a picture, but it's almost gone now.

Still, though, I have a lot of pink skin on my right hand.

No comments: