Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Great Egg Experiment

In my Government classroom, there's something wrong with the heaters. They are always on high, all the time. It's nice, considering that many of the other classrooms are effectively unheated, but it borders on the ridiculous. It's actually painful to the touch.

So, I did what any other self-respecting mad scientist does with something abnormally hot: I tried to cook an egg on it.

I had a mini pan from a tag sale; I scrubbed it with steel wool and thoroughly cleaned it. With permission from my teacher, I brought it in this morning. It took just two minutes to melt a bit of butter in the bottom of the pan.

The egg, however, was not so successful. It had started to cook by the end of the period, but nowhere near finished. The heater wasn't quite hot enough. So, I brought it to the foods room and borrowed a stovetop to finish it, and I had delicious scrambled egg.

I'll bring in a thermometer sometime so I can figure out just how hot that heater really is.

No comments: