Sunday, January 16, 2011

Rocketry Todo

I've got quite a long build / repairs list.

REPAIR:
  • Repair the broken fin on the Sudden Mach. It needs to be done perfectly to prevent the fin from rebreaking at speed, but it shouldn't be too difficult.
  • Rebalance the 29mm Pyramid. This will be tricky; there needs to be enough forward mass to keep it stable on a baby H, while not making it too heavy.
  • Repair or replace numerous old decals on the ARV Condor gliders

REPAINT:
  • Primer and repaint the new forward section on the Orbital Transport
  • Use steel wool to shine the primer, then fully paint the rebuilt Nell

BUILD:
  • Estes Patriot: definite upgrade from original kit: definitely a baffle or payload section, possibly a motor upgrade or dual-deploy
  • MLAS - build, stock except for a few picky things on the motor mount
  • Buffalo: order extra BT-80 tubing, build for dual deploy

OTHER:
  • Openrocket: simulate a number of rockets, including Nell, MLAS, and Patriot
  • Rama: I need to decide what to do with Rama. Everything is falling apart - tube, motor mount, and fins. I could scrap it, or I rebuilt it, replacing almost every component.
FUTURE: My big project this year will be to get my Level 2 certification after I turn 18. I may use a 4" diameter Madcow kit, or Polecat Aerospace's 5.5" Mosquito. It'll be a lot of work, but a lot of fun, and it'll allow me to start (safely) working with experimental motors. A slightly smaller project will be Serenity. I intend to build a largish scale model of the spacecraft - an Firefly mid-bulk transport, class 03K64 - from the TV series Firefly and the movie Serenity. It'll be around two feet long, built from a jumbo Easter egg (for the ovoid trace compression block engine) with a 29mm mount and probably clear plastic fins.

No comments: