Saturday, January 29, 2011

Culture

I haven't blogged much in the past week. Part of that was first semester exams - which are now over. Part was plain old lazyness. And a whole lot was Wikipedia - 150+ edits in the past seven days.

But, most of it was, I've been busy with other stuff. You might even say I've been culturing myself. Here's all the neat stuff I've been up to:

I've been archive binging on four different webcomics. I've finished Head Trip which is a ... kinda slice-of-life comic, focusing mainly around a geek girl, Mal, who...beats people up, mostly. Also, there's really weird superheroes.

I'm very slowly going through Penny Arcade, a gaming webcomic with lots of really random side jokes.

I am really liking Girl Genius. It's a steampunk / gaslamp fantasy web serial, featuring the thoroughly original genius Agatha Heterodyne.

And, I'm attempting to finish Dr. McNinja which is exactly what you think it is.

Not to worry, though, I'm not wasting all my time reading webcomics. I'm also reading real books, too. I've started reading Isaac Asimov's Black Widowers short stories - mystery stories, featuring a club of gentlemen and of course the peerless waiter Henry.

I've also been reading some stuff on educational theory, particularly at the high school level. What makes certain teachers effective. Very interesting.

And, I have been listening to strange bands.

Epica is a Dutch symphonic metal band. This is "Never Enough":


Van Canto is a German 'hero metal' band. They have no instruments, except the drum set. They are also probably the only a capella band that uses guitar amps for their microphones. This is "Kings of Metal":


Agata Kristi is a Russian goth (ish) metal band. This is "Серкет" ("Serket"):

No comments: