These are the longest things I have ever written. All are over 1100 words - the point at which a paper or outline takes serious work. I've got tons of labs, essays, and outlines between 900 and 1050 words, an amount of work which can be done in one afternoon, without a huge amount of work.
Longer than that takes a lot of work. The more recent outlines were spread out over 2-3 afternoons, as were most of my ninth-grade bio outlines. The 9th grade English and 10th grade History thesis papers were written over a week each. The three thesis papers and the Bushy Point Beach paper since then were all one-evening productions, taking until 1 or 2 in the morning. I've found it's easier to focus and write a cohesive paper that way, even if it is somewhat irresponsible. However, with those four items, I had extensive planning, notes and data, and I'd been thinking about them for a while.
Bolded is my chapter 16 outline for UConn ECE Marine Science, a college-level course taught at my high school by a biology teacher. It's the longest outline I have ever written. It's longer than many short stories. And I'm very proud of it.
1) Pearl Harbor thesis paper - History - grade 11 - 2948 words, 8.5 pages
2) Electoral College thesis paper - English - grade 10 - 2923 words, 9.1 pages
3) Aquaculture thesis paper - English - grade 9 - 2601 words, 7.7 pages
4) "Johnny Mnemonic" thesis paper - English - grade 11 - 2490 words, 6.9 pages
5) Bushy Point Beach report - Marine Science - grade 12 - 2254 words, 7.0 pages
6) Chapter 16 (Plankton) outline - Marine Science - grade 12 - 2180 words, 5.4 pages
7) Chapter 3 (Molecules) outline - Biology - grade 9 - 1861 words, 4.9 pages
8) Chapter 12 (Coasts) outline - Marine Science - grade 12 - 1711 words, 4.6 pages
9) Neutrality Acts thesis paper - History - grade 10 - 1601 words, 4.7 pages
10) Chapter 2 (Chemistry) outline - grade 9 - 1398 words, 3.9 pages
11) Chapter 4 (Cells) outline - Biology - grade 9 - 1361 words, 4.6 pages
12) Chapter 5 (Working cells) outline - Biology - grade 9 - 1239 words, 4.7 pages
13) Chapter 6 (Respiration) outline - Biology - 1194 words, 3.4 pages
The Boston Projection
1 day ago