Sunday, October 31, 2010

Fitchburg Line Map

I've made a map of the MBTA's Fitchburg Line commuter rail, including current, past, and future stations. All data is from the Wikipedia article. I put in the existing stations, matching the lines to every curve of the tracks, and filled in former stations from the wiki article.


View Fitchburg Line in a larger map

Unfortunately, it's not perfect. Some of the mileages are a few hundredths of a mile off. Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but in order to allow me to fill in missing mileages on the Wikipedia article, I need exact numbers. I can't get that from station platforms; they're around 150-500 feet (40-150 meters) long. That's up to 9 hundredths of a mile So, I will start with one location I know exactly - the Park Street bridge in Cambridge, taken from Federal Railroad Administration crossing data - and reverse engineer the distances. Exactly.

No comments: