Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Boston!

I had an awesome day in Boston with mandachan and my family on Sunday. My awesome parents got tickets to the Red Sox game and we all drove up in the morning. We parked at the Hynes Convention Center and walked over to Fenway, stopping along the way to walk partway across the Harvard Bridge to take pictures of the famous smoot markings. (I'll have pictures later).

The Red Sox / Royals game was absolutely amazing. It was my first time at Fenway, so I was absolutely astounded by everything. The Sox won 8-1, with David Ortiz hitting a 3-run homer and Jason Varitek hitting a solo shot.

Afterwards, we all walked around the Back Bay area, including Boston Common and the Copley Place Mall. Just for fun, mandachan and I decided to ride the T out to the end of the Green Line where my folks would then pick us up.

We got on the Green Line D Branch at Hynes Convention Center, but there was a problem. Turns out there was scheduled construction down the line - but there weren't notices posted until the platform, by which point we'd already paid our fares. So, we had to get off at Fenway station, get on a free shuttle bus to Reservoir, and then get back on a Green Line streetcar (the Green Line runs modular light-rail streetcars instead of heavy-rail trains) to Riverside.

It only added about 15 minutes to the trip, and thanks to texting (and 2 bars of cell signal 20 feet underground, next to the ticket machines) I was able to keep in touch with my folks. So it was a bit of an adventure, but all was good, and it was fun. Whole day was tons of fun.

No comments: