Monday, April 26, 2010

One other thing

At CATO on saturday, someonw had an F25W single-use motor that CATOed (i.e, exploded). It wasn't terribly violent - it just lifted off the pad, spit out the nozzle, and then the rocket fell back to the ground. I found the propellant grain on the ground; it's mostly unburned. I'm going to keep it.

I'll mainly use it as an ignition helper; I can cut off little slivers and stick them in hard-to-ignite motors along with the igniter. This'll be especially helpful for Blackjack motors which are very hard to ignite.

Of course, I can also just burn some of it for fun, or to start a campfire or whatever. A match can light it, and even a little bit burns with an impressive white flame. Ammonium Perchlorate Composite Propellant (APCP) is cool.

1 comment:

DTH Rocket said...

The exact same thing happened to me with a G77. It was when I was flying my mach-rocket, and the nozzle shot right out, with the rest of the propellant. Funny thing was that I found the propellant in the grass on the way to the rocket before I knew what had happened. Only later did I put 2 and 2 together.