Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Viper IV - completed!

 
I finally truly finished the Viper IV by putting the launch lug on and tying on the shock cord. I'll prolly fillet the launch lug, but otherwise I'm finished with the building. Then comes priming - a lot more priming.

The Viper IV is designed to fly on Estes D12s, and up to small 24mm F motors are listed on the recommended motors list. 4 F motors would make it a high-power rocket; that's roughly a small H100. However, the Cesaroni Pro24 line is coming out soon, and they'll have up to H motors. 4 H100s would equal a baby J400; that would put the Viper between 1 and 2 miles high, and prolly shred it. Still, someday, if I have L2 certification, some money to spare, and I want to beef up a Viper...

Between the 8 feet of stock shock cord and the 9 feet of 1/4" elastic I added, there's 17 feet of shock cord. That's a lot:

 

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Peter said...

Looks great! I didn't know about the Pro-24 line coming out. I should dust off my Viper III.

Tim said...

This will be a really fun rocket!

The EGE said...

Thanks, guys. I can't wait to get out and fly it.