Thursday, October 22, 2009

I am a Bloody Idiot.

Literally.

Yesterday, as I was cutting a bevel into a piece of plywood for the 29mm Pyramid, the exacto slipped, and of course managed to plunge itself into my left index finger. It didn't go too deep, and the cut is only about a quarter-inch long, but it bled pretty well for several minutes.

It's not the first time. I have a 1/2" long scar on my left thumb knuckle from cutting the tailcone on the Bullpup, a nick in the webbing between my left thumb and index finger from slipping while repairing the Transwing, and a small scar on my left thumb from who knows what. Plus numerous dents in my forehead from tripping, a dented chin from falling off my bed at age 3, a possibly broken wrist from last year, a burn on my left wrist from a campfire years ago, and a nice scar on my leg.

Strangely enough, I managed to keep my cool. I dropped the knife, grabbed the finger to slow the bleeding, and raced upstairs to the nearest parent. When I get injured, I seem to have several seconds or minutes of calm before panic and pain sets in. When I smashed my wrist, I managed to walk a quarter mile uphill before falling in a heap on the couch. When I scratched my leg on coral, I navigated a tricky rock ledge to get to the safety of a lagoon. When I burned my thumb on a soldering iron, I had the presence of mind to unplug it, put it on its stand, and drag my cousin upstairs while I got an icepack.

Then, today, I double-jammed and strained my right thumb. At least neither is essential for playing the trumpet.

No comments: