Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Repairs and repainting and building

During a rocket photo shoot (pictures coming later), I managed to step on the WAC Corporal. 4 fins broke off and the bottom tube was crushed. I reglued the fins and fixed the bottom tube, but I wasn't satisfied. I clipped the engine hook to avoid the off-center thrust that plagues the mini motor hooks.

I then repainted almost the entire rocket. The nose cone got a new coat of black, making it better looking and covering up a bad spot where the solder weight I put in made a small hole. The lower part of the WAC Corporal got the fin colors reversed to the correct configuration (2 silver and one black instead of one silver and two black) and blemishes covered up, while the Tiny Tim section got the stage connector repainted to look more scale-like and got painted black to cover up scratches. It actually looks better than before now.

While I was at it, I decided to repaint bits of the Bullpup. I added white to a few bare patches on the forward fins, then painted bits of the main fins black to replace peeling decals, then used white-out to cover up paint that leaked through the masking tape. Looks nice now.

Finally, I'm making progress on the Odyssey. The three larger fins are glued and filleted, and the first smaller fin is drying now. With any luck, I'll be able to fly it on Saturday.

No comments: