Saturday, August 15, 2009

Other Stuff at NERRF

Just a NERRF directional sign. No idea why my dad took this one.
 

A nice gathering of rockets:
 
On the left is a pretty big AMRAAM, probably a 4" rocket. The saucer in the middle was very impressive and loud; it flew several times including on one of the new Aerotech long burn motors, which actually resulted in it hitting one of the trailers in the lot on the way down. The guy on the right setting up a rocket is Al Gloer, CATO Prez and Lord High Executioner, who helped me repair the Nike-Apache and do my cert flight.

Mark Hanna's EssoScout:
 
According to the info on the NERRF projects page, which is the only info I can find, It was a complex L, with a central Aerotech L850W (75/3840 case) ground-started and two AT I195J motors (38/600 case) airstarted 3 seconds into the flight. There was a bit of worry of danger if only one of the twin motors lit, but aparently the LCO was not concerned, as he stated that it was 'only a pair of 'I's." (I'm not sure if the pun was intentional or not). It had a beautful flight to around 4500 feet. I was just beginning my pad manager stint at the time, so I got to take his flight card and look over the rocket briefly but not actually set it up.

A L3 cert flight on the pad:
 
I'm not sure who this was, but it was the second L3 cert attempt on the day and was sucessful. It was a beautiful flight on a large White Lightning motor then went high and recovered sucessfully on the other side of the river, with the nose cone separating as designed. I assume they got their cert.

There were only a few other notable flights that I remember. Al Gloer flew his Warloc to about 2000 feet on a Loki J800; I went with him to recover it. It actually landed no more than 150 yards from the launch site, but it took half a mile of driving as it landed just across the river.

There was another L3 cert earlier that was a beautiful flight, but unsucessful as the motor casing came out and fell separately. Better luck next time.

There were at least 2 other sucessful Jr. L1 certs as well; I talked a bit with Matt Vetere who certified on a LOC Fantom. An adult L1 cert thatI helped put on the pad was unsucessful due to motor ejection; I'm glad the Nike-Apache came with a threaded rod retention system. I plan to add it on any future MPR / HPR rockets I build.

There was a 38mm minimum-diameter carbon-fiber rocket that I helped place on the pad. It flew beautifully to something like 8000 feet and Mach 1.8.

There were about 20% LPR flights; C6s, D12s, and E9s were very popular. Two rice-paper rockets flew; one had a sucessful rear ejection and the other did not and conveniently flattened itself for disposal.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: