Saturday, August 15, 2009

My Other Flights

My first flight of the day, as well as my first F flight, my first 29mm flight, and my first outside Connecticut, was the Mozzie on an Aerotech F23-4FJ Econojet. The Econojet was a pain, though, because for some reason the slots in the grains of the Econojets shrunk, making it next to impossible to insert a Copperhead. (Yet another reason why leaded igniters like the First Fire & FF Jr. and Q2G2 are in my opinion the superior igniters and the future) Fortunately, Bob of Hangar 11 (Does the guy ever sleep? He must have helped me out a hlaf dozen times today). Here it is on the pad, ready for launch:
 
And just after liftoff, slightly out of focus:
 
The Mozzie flew straight and well. It ejected just before and deployed its chute almost immediately. It came down pretty slow and right in the center of the range. I agree with the simulation of 950 feet altitude.

Unfortunately, the ejection charge burned a bit of the nose cone's shoulder away. It won't affect the flight or recovery, but it could if it continued, so I'm layering it with wood glue for protection, and I might put epoxy clay in the burnt spot.

After my cert flight, I was signed up to help as a Pad Manager. Basically I helped folks put their rockets on the pads, performed continuity checks, collected the flight cards, and armed the pads prior to leaving. I got to meet some awesome people and help with several large rockets, including an 8" rocket on a J800. About 5:00, the number of rockets started to die down, and I was able to take a few moments to prep the Machnum Force. Because no one happened to have a launch tower, I grudingly pt a 1/4" lug on. Here's it on the pad:
 
Instead of spending money on a G80-7T (No -10 or -13 delays were available), I elected to go for the G78-7G for three reasons. One, I figured that it was a good use of a possibly CATO-prone motor (I forgot the forward seal disk while building); two, I didn't figure it was possible to notice Mach (a 38mm cloudbuster earlier made no notice of passing Mach 1); three, the G78 would not require notification of going over 5500 feet.

I loaded it up with about 1" of tracking powder (white flour) in the top as an attempt to see it nearly a mile high.

It took of too quick even for my dad's camera-fu:
 
In fact, after about 0.5 seconds of the launch, the next time it was visible was as a little white puff in the sky over 4000 feet up. I only got a rough bearing on it, and I never saw it come down.

When my shift was over, dad and I went to the far corner of the field to look for it. We didn't figure we would, and I assumed it was a one-shot rocket from the beginning, but while coming back along the original track I found it in a furrow nearly 900 feet from the pad. It was undamaged except for a small dent in the body tube from the rebound of the nose cone, which is even more impressive considering the streamer tangled and thus it probably hot at 50 to 60 feet per second.

I may fly it on a G80 yet, but for now I'll stick to Cs and Ds for it, so I'm assured of getting it back. I actually am starting to like the little thing.

I did not fly the Comanche-3, Deltie Thunder, or Nantucket Sound due to time constraints.

Random fact: Today's flights were my first 29mm flights; my first F, G, and H flights; my first over 1000 feet; my first Mojave Green, Redline, and Black Jack motors; and featured my only 3 29mm rockets.

Random fact: according to both EMRR and my own stats (which vary slightly in flight selection and data type), I am averaging almost exactly 10 Ns per flight, have launched about 50 rockets on 150 motors, and am at the border line between J and K for total impulse.

Random fact: The F23FJ has almost exactly one-quarter the power of the H165. (41.2 Ns*4=164.8 Ns ~~ 165 Ns).

Random fact: more updates coming after I sleep, including more NERRF analysis and pictures and the start of learning more HTML.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Dick said...

Another nice report. Recovering a tiny rocket on a G is a major accomplishment! I still remember my report on my Machbuster on a G55, "bang, and it was gone." I'm so glad I flew it on a small motor first.

The EGE said...

Thanks. Glad to be interesting - I do my best.