Sunday, January 11, 2009

OV10 Update

What is currently code-named the OV10 is a rocket glider, 18mm, that uses no radio control, burn strings, sliding wings, or elevators. Instead, it uses a boost pod that telescopes inside the glider body to make a CG shift. It'll make more sense when I have pictures.

I cut a few of the tube parts during the week, but nothing else. I cut the 2 wing halves, 2 tail booms, 2 fins, and 1 stabilizer today. Tonight I've started on the gluing. The glider section - the above balsa parts (3/32") plus 3" of BT-50 is currently CAed together. I unfortunately bought very thin CA, so it took a few tries to get the wing together.

Currently, I have wood glue fillets drying in the stabilizer-fin and body-wing joints. In about 9 hours when I wake up, I'll flip it over, add fillets on the other wing-body and wing-boom joints, add the launch lug and maybe a landing skid, and I'm done with the glider. Then I'll assemble the BT-20, BNC-20, 4 centering rings, and engine hook of the pod and be done with assembly. Then I've got to balance the glider, glide-test, trim, repair, etc.

I don't plan to paint it because paint interferes with the glide characteristics and the sliding pod motion. With any luck, it'll fly next weekend or at CATO on the 24th.

No comments: