Sunday, January 25, 2009

Launch Report #16

I went out and launched 5 rockets on 5 flights on 6 motors in 28° weather today.
First came my Scissor-Wing Transport on a C6-3. It was my oldest 'virgin' (i.e, made or bought but not launched) rocket. Now my only 3 are MMD (Sept. or Oct. 2008), Comanche-3 (Oct. 2008), and Rokit (Jan. 2008). The nozzle was very small; I had to use a mini-engine plug instead of a standard C6 plug. Because of the odd nozzle and the very long, powerful burn, I almost wonder if I got an old C5-3 that was mislabeled. It boosted high and straight, ejected just past, and separated cleanly. The pod came down slowly, but the streamer didn't upwrap and it crimped a bit on impact with the ice - which was actually important later. The glider came down safely but fast; I will have to rebalance it.

Second was Cohete on an A3-4T. It wasn't quite stable with the shortened stick fin; I'll have to find a new longer one and'or only fly it on A10-3Ts - more altitude and shorter delay equals safer.

Third was Screaming Yellow Zonker! on a C6-0 / A8-5 combo; my first A8-5 I have ever used. It left a nice spiral smoke trail and made a thup-thup-thup sound; staging was high at around 300+ feet. The sustainer was completely unstable; it trashed around under thrust, then ejected at around 200 feet with no damage.

I have now, using extra tubing from the Scissor-wing Transport's shortened power pod, made it into a 1-stage rocket. I simply took the 6" length from the power pod, put an engine block in it, slid it up the sustainer tube until it hit the engine block, glued it on, the glued the booster to the bottom. Now I've got a fully stable, 1-stage rocket that still will spiral, make noise, and leave an awesome smoke trail. Pictures are a'comin.

Next was Frankenstein on a C6-5 - high, fast flight, ejection just past at around 800 feet, recovery just on the field even just with tumble recovery. It drifted a long way.
Finally was the Astron Invader:























It did 2 spirals below 50 feet under power, gliding up to around 120 feet after burnout, ejected around 80, and glided decently well - about 10 seconds. I even found the motor casing in 6" of snow. Despite this scary picture, it didn't crash.
I have now flown 67 motors on 56 flights on 30 rockets and distinct boosters, for a total of 311.62 Ns - a 94.8% H. One more C6 or two B6s will put me in I range. 4.65 Ns (86% B) per motor and 5.56 (11.2% C) per flight. I flew 4 Cs and 2 As today for 34.9 Ns - that's very high for me, but less than my 1/18 and 11/16 launches and almost exactly equal to 11/2.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

mandachan said...

ok i will admit, that picture is pretty cool. but that's it.

and i actually enjoyed that lovely conversation i had with laura today, but i think i'm more confused what to think of it now, being the 3rd wheel in what seems like every relationship my friends have...