Thursday, January 15, 2009

Launch Report #14

Even in 19° F weather, I still managed to fly 2 rockets. Since I flew my Cosmic Cobra without a chute, neither rocket had any parachute to open in the cold weather. I burned 2 motors for 15 Ns (mid D) total.

First came the Cosmic Cobra on a C6-5. This was the first C6-5 I've ever burned in about 50 flights on Estes motors, except possibly the Cobra's second flight which was probably on a C6-3. It boosted straight and fast and uprange a bit; ejection was just after apogee. The body glided nicely. It came down in the parking lot after about 10 seconds. The nose cone spun nicely, sometimes right side up, sometimes upside down, and sometimes not spinning at all. It landed 15 feet from the booster about 25 seconds after ejection. It looked like I was going to lose both on the roof, but the rocket gods were kind. I gotta try this on a D21-4.

Second came my new OV10. It looked like a good boost, although it arced over my head a bit, but in fact the launch lug had stuck and fallen off halfway up the rod! (This is why I plan to buy a more solid, one-piece, 48" steel rod to replace my current 2-piece, 32" rod.)
Ejection on the B6-2 was just after apogee. Because the ejection gasses had nowhere to go, they kicked off the nose cone, ripped the motor, hook, and aft centering ring right out of the model, and fortunately kicked the glider into a flat position. It half-glided, half-floated down to a safe landing. I found the motor, etc about 20 feet away and the nose cone almost 100 feet away.
I will use the remaining 5.5" of the pod tubing to make my new secret project and the 7.5" of BT-20 left from the tubing to make a new pod. I will put vent holes in this time.

So far, I've flown 25 distinct rockets on 48 flights on 55 motors for a total of 252.64 Ns (mid H). That's 4.59 (high B) per motor and 5.26 (low C) per flight.
Sorry, no pictures. I was alone except for a few kids playing football that noticed the Cosmic Cobra and wre suitably impressed by the glider.

No comments: