Friday, November 14, 2008

Ummmm..... hi.

We have a little brown bat (Myotis Lucifungus)in our shutter.
I was outside test-gliding my Scissor-wing Transport and I see a bird-like shape flying from my house, out to the street, and back. On its second flight out from the house, I clearly saw its size - about 8 or 10 inch wingspan- and its bony little wings. It disappeared behind one of our shutters. The gap between the shutter and wall is only about 1.5 inches - this is a very skinny bat!
The little brown bat is one of the most common bats in North America. They can weigh up to half an ounce. They are echolocating insectivores. No little brown bats have ever been known to infect a human with rabies ir any other disease. Go team ant bat!

1 comment:

mandachan said...

that's neat. i've only seen a wild bat once, and that was at my neighbor's house at the old house, before my neighbor moved, which tells you how long ago that was (i think i was in elementary school. as in, like, 4th grade, since our school has different years than yours)