Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Parachutes. Sigh.

If for some reason you passed by my house, you would see the following in the front tree:
  • a large orange mass

  • string. lots of it.

  • a lead fishing weight

  • a red wire hanger

  • a large washer

The explanation: I made a 24" ouyt of this orangeish plastic material. One its sixth test flight, it caught on the very tip of a branch that shouldn't be there 50 feet up. That makes for the orange mass, string, and the weight - for testing the chute.
Then, I made a grappling hook from a hanger and a washer to get it down. That caught too. Sigh. On the plus side, both the 24" chute and its 12" safely recovered baby brother work great. I will use the 12" chute soon.

No comments: